Prof. Dr. Awudu Abdulai
- Leitung des Instituts für Ernährungswirtschaft und Verbrauchslehre
- Leitung der Abteilung Ernährungsökonomie
Lebenslauf (in englisch)
Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Kiel, Professor Abdulai (Ghanaian citizen) taught at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich (ETH) and also held visiting positions at the Departments of Economics at Yale University and Iowa State University, as well as the International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC. His fields of interests span over Development Economics, Consumer Economics and Environmental and Resource Economics.
He was Cargill Visiting Professor at the Center on Food Security and the Environment at the Institute for International Studies, Stanford University (2010 - 2011).
Awards and Honors
Distinguished Fellow of the African Association of Agricultural Economists, 2010
Best Teacher Award for Summer Semester 2006, Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science, Kiel University
Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, 1994. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich
From July 2012: Co-Editor-in-Chief, Agricultural Economics (journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists).
2012: Associate Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
2011 - Present: Editorial Advisory Board in Food Policy.
2006 - Present: Co-Editor in Economics, Open-Access e-Journal.
2005 - Present: Editorial Board in African Journal of Agricultural Economics.
2004 - 2006: Associate Editor in Agricultural Economics (Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists).
2001 - 2003: Editorial Board in Agricultural Economics (Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists).
Artikel in Fachzeitschriften
- Bello, M. and Abdulai, A. (2017). The Use of a Hybrid Latent Class Approach to Identify Consumer Segments and Market Potential for Organic Products in Nigeria. Forthcoming in Agribusiness: an International Journal.
- Abdulai, A. N. and Abdulai, A. (2016). Examining the impact of conservation agriculture on environmental efficiency among maize farmers in Zambia. Environment and Development Economics.
- Abdulai, A. N. and Abdulai, A. (2016). Allocative Scale Efficiency among Maize Farmers in Zambia: A zero efficiency stochastic frontier approach. Applied Economics.Vol. 48 Issue 55, pp. 5364-5378.
- Bello, M. and Abdulai, A. (2016). Impact of Ex-Ante Hypothetical Bias Mitigation Methods on Attribute Non-Attendance in Choice Experiments. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 98(5), pp. 1486-1506.
- Wanglin, M. and Abdulai, A. (2016). Does cooperative membership improve household welfare? Evidence from apple farmers in China. Food Policy. Vol. 58, pp. 94-102.
- Bello, M. and Abdulai, A. (2016). Measuring Heterogeneity, Survey Engagement and Response Quality in Preferences for Organic Products in Nigeria. Applied Economics. Vol. 48, Issue 13, pp. 1159-1178.
- Wanglin, M. and Abdulai, A. (2016). Linking apple farmers to markets: determinants and impacts of marketing contracts in China. China Agricultural Economics Review. Vol. 8(1), pp. 2-21.
- Kousar, R. and A. Abdulai (2015): Off-farm work, land tenancy contracts and Investment in soil conservation measures in rural Pakistan. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics. Vol. 59, pp. 1-19.
- Abdulai, A. and R. Goetz (2014). Time-related Characteristics of Tenancy Contracts and Investment in Soil Conservation Practices. Environmental and Resource Economics. Vol. 59, pp. 87-109.
- Bechtold, K.-B., Abdulai, A. (2014). Combining attitudinal statements with choice experiments to analyze preference heterogeneity for functional dairy products. Food Policy. Vol. 47, pp. 97-106.
- Kleemann, L., Abdulai, A. and Buss, M. (2014). Certification and Access to Export Markets: Adoption and Return on Investment of Organic Certified Pineapple Farming in Ghana. World Development. Vol. 64, pp. 79-92.
- Ogundari, K. and Abdulai, A. (2014). Determinants of Household´s Education and Healthcare Spending in Nigeria: Evidence from Survey Data. African Development Review. Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Abdulai, A. and W.E. Huffman (2014). Adoption and Impact of Soil and Water Conservation Technology: An Endogenous Switching Regression Application. Land Economics Vol. 90, pp. 26-43.
- Mofya-Mukuka, R. and A. Abdulai (2013). Policy Reforms and Asymmetric Price Transmission in Zambian and Tanzanian Coffee Markets. Economic Modelling Vol. 35, pp. 786-795.
- Kleemann, L. and A. Abdulai (2013). Organic Certification, Agro-Ecological Practices and Return on Investment: Evidence from Pineapple Producers in Ghana. Ecological Economics Vol. 93, pp. 330-341.
- Ogundari, K. and A. Abdulai (2013). Examining the Heterogeneity in Calorie-Income Elasticities: A Meta-Analysis. Food Policy Vol. 40(2), pp. 119-128.
- Kleemann, L. and A. Abdulai (2013). The Impact of Trade and Economic Growth on the Environment: Revisiting the Cross-Country Evidence. Journal of International Development Vol. 25(2), pp. 180-205.
- Kuhlgatz, C. and A. Abdulai (2012). Food Aid and Malnutrition in Developing Countries: Evidence from Global Food Aid Allocation. Journal of Development Studies Vol. 48(12), pp. 1765-1783.
- Ali, A., A. Abdulai and R. Goetz (2012). Impacts of Tenancy Arrangements on Investment and Efficiency: Evidence from Pakistan. Agricultural Economics Vol. 43(6), pp. 1-13.
- Abdulai, A., V. Owusu and R. Goetz (2011). Land Tenure Arrangements and Investment in Land Improvement Measures: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis. Journal of Development Economics Vol. 96(1), pp. 66-78.
- Owusu, V., A. Abdulai and S. Abdul-Rahman (2011). Non-farm Work and Food Security Among Farm Households in Northern Ghana. Food Policy Vol. 36(2), pp. 108-118.
- Kassie, G., A. Abdulai and C. Wollny (2011). Heteroscedastic Hedonic Price Model for Cattle in the Rural Markets of Central Ethiopia. Applied Economics Vol. 43(24), pp. 3459-3464.
- Abdulai, A., V. Owusu and E.A. Bakang (2011). Adoption of safer irrigation technologies and cropping patterns: Evidence from Southern Ghana. Ecological Economics Vol. 70(7), pp. 1415-1423.
- Kassie, G., A. Abdulai and C. Wollny (2010). Implicit Prices of Indigenous Bull Traits in Crop-Livestock Mixed Production Systems of Ethiopia. African Development Review Vol. 22(4), pp. 482-494.
- Kuhlgatz, C., A. Abdulai and C.B. Barrett (2010). Food aid allocation policies: coordination and responsiveness to recipient country needs. Agricultural Economics Vol. 41(3-4), pp. 319-327.
- Becerril, J. and A. Abdulai. (2010). The Impact of Improved Maize Varieties on Poverty in Mexico: A Propensity Score Matching Approach. World Development Vol. 38(7), pp. 1024-1035.
- Ali, A. and A. Abdulai. (2010). The Adoption of Genetically Modified Cotton and Poverty Reduction in Pakistan. Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 61(1), pp. 175-192.
- Abdulai A. (2010). Socioeconomic Characteristics and Obesity in Underdeveloped Economies: Does Income Really Matter? Applied Economics Vol. 42(2), pp. 157-169.
- Faltermeier, L. and A. Abdulai (2009). The Impact of Water Conservation and Intensification Technologies: Empirical Evidence for Rice Farmers in Ghana. Agricultural Economics. Vol. 40(3), pp. 365-279.
- Kassie, G., A. Abdulai and C. Wollny (2009). Valuing Traits of Indigenous Cows in Central Ethiopia. Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 60(2), pp 386-401.
- Abdulai, A., C. Kuhlgatz and S. Schmitz (2009). Empirical Investigation of Price Setting and Quantity Surcharges in the German Food Sector. Agribusiness: An International Journal. Vol. 25(3), pp. 1-19.
- Abdulai, A. and E.A. Birachi (2009). The Choice of Coordination Mechanism in the Kenyan Fresh Milk Supply Chain. Review of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 31(1), pp. 103-121.
- Abdulai, A., P. Monnin and J. Gerber. (2008). Joint Estimation of Information Acquisition and Adoption of New Technologies under Uncertainty. Journal of International Development. Vol. 20, Nr. 4, pp. 437-451.
- Kassie, G., W. Ayalew, A. Abdulai, C. Wollny and W. Bayer. A framework for Community Based Management of Indigenous Cattle Genetic Resources in Dano District, Central Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Animal Production Vol. 8, Nr. 1, pp. 65-78.
- Abdulai A. and H. Tietje. (2007). Estimating Technical Efficiency under Unobserved Heterogeneity with Stochastic Frontier Models: Application to Northern German Dairy Farms. European Review of Agricultural Economics Vol. 34. No. 3, pp. 393-416.
- Ouma, E., A. Abdulai and A. Drucker. (2007). Measuring Heterogeneous Preferences for Cattle Traits Amongst Cattle Keeping-Households in East Africa. American Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 89, No. 4, pp. 1005-1019.
- Abdulai, A. M. Johnson and X. Diao. (2007). Leveraging Regional Growth Dynamics in African Agriculture. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics Vol. 1, No.1, pp. 49-66.
- Abdulai, A. and C. Binder. 2006. Slash and Burn Cultivation Practice and Agricultural Input Demand and Output Supply. Environment and Development Economics Vol.11, No. 2, pp. 201-220.
- Reist-Marti, S.B., A. Abdulai and H. Semianer. 2006. Optimal Allocation of Conservation Funds. An Application to African Cattle Breeds. Genetics, Selection and Evolution Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 99-126.
- Abdulai, A., Barrett C.B. and J. Hoddinott. 2005. Does food aid really have disincentive effects? New evidence from markets and households in Sub-Saharan Africa. World Development Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 1689-1704.
- Abdulai, A. and W.E. Huffman. 2005. The Diffusion of New Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Crossbred-Cow Technology in Tanzania. American Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 87, No. 3, pp. 645-659.
- Reist-Marti, S.B., A. Abdulai and H. Semianer. 2005. Conservation Programs for African Cattle: Design, Cost and Benefits. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics Vol. 122, No. 2, pp. 95-109.
- Abdulai, A. and D. Aubert. 2004. Nonparametric and parametric analysis of calorie consumption in Tanzania. Food Policy Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 113-129.
- Abdulai, A. and D. Aubert. 2004. A Cross-Section Analysis of Household Demand for Food and Nutrients in Tanzania. Agricultural Economics Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 67-79.
- Abdulai, A. 2003. Economies of Scale and the Demand for Food in Switzerland: Parametric and Nonparametric Analysis. Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 54, No. 2 , pp. 247-267.
- Abdulai, A. 2002. Household Demand for Food in Switzerland. A Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System. Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics Vol. 138, No.1, pp.1-18.
- Abdulai, A. 2002. Using Threshold Cointegration to Estimate Asymmetric Price Transmission in the Swiss Pork Market. Applied Economics Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 679-687.
- Abdulai, A. and P. Jacquet. 2002. Exports and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Evidence for Côte d'Ivoire. African Development Review Vol. 14, No.1, pp. 1-17.
- Abdulai, A. and R. Eberlin. 2001. Technical Efficiency during Economic Reform in Nicaragua: Evidence from Farm Household Survey Data. Economic Systems Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 113-125.
- Abdulai, A. and A. CroleRees. 2001. Constraints and Income Diversification Strategies: Evidence from Southern Mali. Food Policy Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 437-452.
- Abdulai, A. 2000. Spatial Price Transmission and Asymmetry in the Ghanaian Maize Market. Journal of Development Economics Vol. 63, No. 2, pp. 327-349.
- Abdulai, A. and P.P. Regmi. 2000. Estimating Labor Supply of Farm Households under Nonseparability: Empirical Evidence from Nepal. Agricultural Economics Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 309-320.
- Abdulai, A. and W.E. Huffman. 2000. Structural Adjustment and Efficiency of Rice Farmers in Northern Ghana. Economic Development and Cultural Change Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 503-521.
- Abdulai, A. and C.L. Delgado. 2000. Short and Long Run Agricultural Wage Formation in Ghana: An Empirical Investigation of Adjustment. Oxford Development Studies Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 169-185.
- Abdulai, A. and C.L. Delgado. 1999. Determinants of Nonfarm Earnings of Farm-Based Husbands and Wives in Northern Ghana. American Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 81, No. 1. pp. 117-130.
- Abdulai, A. D.K. Jain, and A.K. Sharma. 1999. Household Food Demand Analysis in India. Journal of Agricultural Economics Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 316-327.
- Abdulai, A. and D.K. Jain. 1999. Using Microlevel Data to Analyse Consumption of Milk and Milk Products in India. Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 53-64.
- Abdulai A. 1999. Internal Migration and Agricultural Development in Ghana. Scandinavian Journal of Development Alternatives Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 61-74.
- Abdulai A. and P. Rieder. 1995. Agriculture's Contribution to Overall Economic Growth: An Application of Kaldor's First Growth Law to Ghana. African Development Review Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 97-114.
- Abdulai A. and P. Hazell. 1995. The Role of Agriculture in Sustainable Development in Africa. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture Vol. 7, No. 2/3, pp. 101-119.
- Abdulai A. and P. Rieder. 1995. The Impacts of Agricultural Price Policy on Cocoa Production in Ghana: An Error Correction Estimation. Journal of African Economies Vol. 4, No. 3. pp. 315-335.
- Abdulai A. and U. Egger. 1992. Intraregional Trade in West Africa. The Impacts of Ghana's Cocoa Exports and Economic Growth. Food Policy Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 277-286.
Reviews von Büchern
- Abdulai A. 1998. Quantitative Development Policy Analysis. Agricultural Economics 19, pp. 367-375.
- Abdulai A. 1997. The Economics of Agricultural Technology in Semi-arid Sub-Saharan Africa. European Review of Agricultural Economics 24, pp. 324-326.
- Abdulai A. 1995. "Structural Adjustments in Ghana: The Impacts on Agriculture and Rural Poor". Agricultural Economics 13, pp. 66-68.
Kapitel in Büchern und andere Publikationen
- Kassie, G.T., Abdulai, A., Wollny, C. et al. 2011. Implicit prices of indigenous cattle traits in central Ethiopia: Application of revealed and stated preference approaches. ILRI Research Report 26. University of Kiel, CIMMYT and ILRI.
- Abdulai, A. and C. Kuhlgatz 2011. Food Security Policy - Developing Countries. In Lusk, J., Roosen, J. and J. Shogren: Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Food Consumption and Policy. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Abdulai, A. 2007. Spatial and Vertical price transmission in food staples market chains in Eastern and Southern Africa: What is the evidence? Paper presented at the FAO Trade and Markets Division Workshop on Staple Food Trade and Market Policy Options for Promoting Development in Eastern and Southern Africa, Rome, March 1-2, 2007.
- Abdulai, A. 2005. The Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction and Food Security during Transition: Case Study of Tajikistan. Background paper prepared for the World Bank.
- Abdulai, A., Diao, X. and M. Johnson. 2005. Exploring Regional Dynamics for Agricultural Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa. International Food Policy Research Institute Discussion Paper; IFPRI, Washington DC.
- Abdulai, A. 2004. Spatial integration and price transmission in agricultural commodity markets in sub-Saharan Africa. In: Alexander S. and D. Hallam. Agricultural Commodity Markets and Trade: New Approaches to Analyzing Market Structure and Instability. Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Abdulai, A., Barrett C.B. and P. Hazell. 2004. Food Aid for Market Development in Sub-Saharan Africa. International Food Policy Research Institute Discussion Paper No. 5, IFPRI, Washington DC.
- Abdulai, A. 2000. The Role of Agriculture in Less Favoured Areas for a Sustainable Society. Swiss Journal of Agricultural Economics and Sociology 2,107-117.
- Abdulai A. and S. Waelti. 2000. More Milk for India? Household Food Demand and Milk Supply Analysis in Selected States of the Indian Union. Report Prepared for the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Berne, Switzerland.
- Jaquet P., Abdulai A. and P. Rieder. 2000. Empirische Analyse des Nahrungsmittelverbrauchs in der Schweiz: Ein dreistufiges LA/AIDS Modell. Nachfrageanalyse, Teil eines Projektes vom Bundesamt für Landwirtschaft (BLW) basierend auf den Daten der EVE 98 des Bundesamtes für Statistik (BFS), Okt. 2000, Zürich.
- Abdulai, A. and P. Hazell. 1999. The Impact of Policy Reforms and and Trade Liberalisation on Fragile Lands in Sub-Saharan Africa Conference. In McCulla, A. (ed): Proceedings on Strategies for Poverty Alleviation and Sustainable Resource Management in Fragile Lands of Sub-Saharan Africa. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC.
- Abdulai, A. and C.L. Delgado. 1999. Determinants of Time Spent in Nonfarm Employment by Farmers in Northern Ghana. In Peters, G.H. and J. von Braun (eds): Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference of Agricultural Economists on Food Security, Diversification, and Resource Management: Refocusing the Role of Agriculture, Dartmouth Publishing Company, England, pp. 301-308.
- Abdulai, A. and Christopher L. Delgado. 1999. An Empirical Investigation of Short and Long-run Agricultural Wage Formation in Ghana. Markets and Structures Discussion Paper. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC.
- Spycher B., A. Abdulai, and R. Joerin. 1998. A Time Series Analysis of the Demand for Milk and Meat Products in Switzerland. Study Undertaken for the Swiss Ministry of Agriculture, Bern.
- Abdulai A. and C.L. Delgado. 1995. Re-establishing Agriculture as a Priority for Development Policy in Sub-Saharan Africa. Occasional Paper, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Abdulai A. and P. Itty. 1994. The Impacts of Operation Flood on the Indian Dairy Sector. Indian Livestock Sector Policy Report Prepared for Intercooperation, Berne.
- Abdulai A. and U. Egger. 1991. The Significance of Road and Markets Improvements in the Agricultural Marketing System of Bangladesh. State of the Art Report Prepared for Agri Swiss.
- Goetz, R. and A. Abdulai. 1991. Estimation and Use of Risk Aversion Coefficient for Lowland Agriculture in Switzerland. Swiss Journal of Agricultural Economics and Sociology 4, 122-127.
- African Development Review
- Agricultural Economics
- Agriculture and Human Values
- American Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Applied Economics
- Economic Development and Cultural Change
- Economie Rurale
- Economic Systems
- Empirical Economics
- Environment and Development Economics
- Food Policy
- International Journal of Technology Management
- Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Journal of Development Economics
- Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture
- World Development