Kuhlgatz, Dr. Christian
Food Aid, Food Security, Agricultural Productivity
Food security, food aid, agricultural trade policy, consumer behavior, impact assessment methods
|Education and Training|
|Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies. University of Kiel, Germany|
|10/2007 - 02/2012||Research Assistant at the Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies. University of Kiel, Germany|
|04/2006 - 07/2007||
MSc. in Agricultural Sciences. University of Kiel, Germany
Subject of the Master Thesis: “International Food Aid and Food Availability in Recipient Countries”
|10/2006 - 08/2007||Student Assistant at the Chair of Food Economics. University of Kiel, Germany|
|04/2002 - 04/2006||
BSc. in Agricultural Sciences. University of Kiel, Germany
Subject of the Bachelor Thesis: “Analysis of Inertial Demand Adjustment of Consumers in the USA”
|04/2003 - 10/2003||Internship at Thormählenhof Poultry & Crop Farm, Neuendorf, Germany|
Courses held at the department:
- Environmental Economics (Lecture)
- Economics of the Food Sector (Lecture)
- Empirical Demand Analysis in Food Economics (Computer Exercises)
- Economics of the Food Sector (Tutorial)
- Kuhlgatz, C. and A. Abdulai (2012). Food Aid and Malnutrition in Developing Countries: Evidence from Global Food Aid Allocation. Journal of Development Studies Vol. 48(12), pp. 1765-1783.
- Abdulai, A. and C. Kuhlgatz (2011). Food Security Policy - Developing Countries. In Lusk, J., Roosen, J. and J. Shogren: Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Food Consumption and Policy. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Kuhlgatz, C., A. Abdulai and C. B. Barrett (2010). Food aid allocation policies: coordination and responsiveness to recipient country needs. Agricultural Economics Vol. 41(3-4), pp. 319-327.
- Abdulai, A., C. Kuhlgatz and S. Schmitz (2009). Empirical Investigation of Price Setting and Quantity Surcharges in the German Food Sector. Agribusiness: An International Journal. Vol. 25(3), pp. 1-19.
Presentations at Conferences
- Kuhlgatz, C. and A. Abdulai (2011): Determinants and Welfare Impacts of Export Crop Cultivation – Empirical Evidence from Ghana. Paper presented at the 13th Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists in Zürich, Switzerland.
- Kuhlgatz, C. and A. Abdulai (2011): Determinants and Welfare Impacts of Export Crop Cultivation – Empirical Evidence from Ghana. Paper presented at the Poverty Reduction, Equity and Growth Network (PEGNet) Conference 2011 in Hamburg, Germany.
- Kuhlgatz, C., A. Abdulai and C. B. Barrett (2009). Food Aid Allocation Policies: Donor Coordination and Responsiveness to the Needs of Recipient Countries. Paper presented at the 27th International Conference of Agricultural Economists in Beijing, China.
- Nominated for the T.W. Schultz Prize for best contributed paper (oral) by a young IAAE member.
|Participation at International Food Aid Conferences|
|02 - 04 May 2007||Food Aid: Exploring the Challenges. Hosted by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development in Berlin, Germany.|
|08 - 09 July 2010||Uniting on Food Assistance: Promoting Evidence-Based Transatlantic Dialogue and Convergence. 4th Transatlantic Dialogue on Humanitarian Action, hosted by the Global Public Policy Institute and Cornell University in Potsdam, Germany.|